- 2 hour prep & assembly, 1 hour bake/fridge
90g Koko Black Intense Dark | 70% Dark Chocolate Block
2 cups plain flour
½ cup Koko Black Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
240g unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, at room temperature
230ml freshly brewed espresso, cooled to room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup buttermilk
200g Koko Black Dotties | Dark Chocolate
200g heavy/thickened cream
Koko Black 54% Dark Chocolate Shavings
Koko Black Coffee Chatter Beans
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease and line two 8”/20cm round baking pans and set aside.
3. Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt to a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
4. Chop the chocolate and add to a small saucepan. Melt, stirring, over low heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
5. Cream together the butter and sugar using a stand or hand-held mixer.
6. Switch to the lowest setting, and add eggs one at a time, followed by the cooled melted chocolate, mixing after each addition.
7. Next, add a third of the flour mix, stirring until just combined, then add the coffee and vanilla. Stir again, then repeat with another third of the flour mix, then the buttermilk, and finally the last lot of flour, stirring gently after each addition.
8. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
9. Bake for around 40 – 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out somewhat clean (not wet). Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cakes.
10. Invert onto wire racks; cool completely.
11. To assemble, trim the tops on each cake to ensure they are flat. Place one cake on a plate or stand, then spread with a layer of ganache. Add the second layer and then add the remaining ganache, spreading out evenly across the top and sides with a spatula or back of a knife.
To make the ganache
1. Add the chocolate to a large heatproof bowl.
2. Add the cream to a small saucepan and heat over low to medium heat until it starts to steam – be careful not to let it boil
3. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand 10 minutes uncovered, then stir to until smooth and glossy.