- 1 hour prep & assembly, 2 hour bake/fridge
200g butter, softened
100g brown sugar
275g plain flour
1x 395ml can sweetened condensed milk
125g unsalted butter, roughly chopped
100g light brown sugar
75ml golden syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
200g Koko Black Dotties | Dark Chocolate
200mls thickened cream
1 pinch sea salt to sprinkle on top
1. Pre-heat oven to 160C fan forced. Line a 20cm x 30 cm tin with baking paper.
2. To make the shortbread layer, cream butter and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Add flour and mix until combined and a soft dough is formed.
3. Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, then press the mixture down firmly and evenly. Bake for 25-30 mins or until light golden brown. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
4. While the shortbread is cooling, make the caramel layer. Add all caramel ingredients to a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Whisk until melted and combined then continue whisking over the heat while the caramel bubbles and deepens in colour. Continue, stirring, until it starts to thicken and pull away from the edge, around 5 to 6 minutes (if using a candy thermometer, it should read 105C or above).
5. Pour the caramel onto the shortbread base, spreading into an even layer. Chill in the refrigerator while you make the chocolate layer.
6. Melt with chocolate and cream together, either in a double boiler or by microwaving in 20 second bursts, stirring in between. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and smooth into an even layer.
7. Chill in the fridge until set. Sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
Note: As the chocolate layer is a ganache, the chocolate won’t be silky smooth on top, however you can get a more even, flatter chocolate top by popping any air bubbles with the tip of a sharp knife and gently but firmly shaking the pan from side to side to help the chocolate settle.